Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Solstice obsessions

Here is the solstice post and a small peek at what I have been obsessing over....eco printing on muslim, is the first shot...and I wrapped this in an old bed spring and which made rust marks after a few days, then I overdyed in eucalyptus....which does miraculous things because even some of the rust that was invisible, was brought out by the tannin in the eucalyptus.   Am learning more and more about eco printing on materials from the queen of eco dyeing , India Flints book, which is full of fabulous inspiration....Amazing how things change, as the first time I saw her work several years ago, I really didn't appreciate it, even though I was into natural dyeing I just could really "see" it....and then voila, I saw it and loved it, and am working with it although I am not very adept at it yet.....so many processes in my head must keep more notes the older I get, sometimes I begin something I have done before and don't remember until I am half way through it, that I had done it easier and better before, so notetaking will begin in ernest...through necessity, as I am more of an alchemist than a notetaker....I love the not knowing usually, rather than the detail repeatable process..  The next is some nuno felt shawls I did awhile ago and haven't posted yet...now I have a huge table, thank god, I can work larger than before...more work more fun, more room..Am beginning a new series of work, which is going slowly  because of a sprained right wrist but it is moving.   Summer is here, the garden is wonderful and the days doable in felt..... what more can I ask...well, more silk materials, more wool....okay I could ask for more but I am definitely blessed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful pieces! I love the bedspring marks and interesting to hear how the metal reacted with the tannins. The marks made me think of staples...I think I'll try stapling some pieces togeher and then let them "age"...maybe after an ocean dip...thanks for the inspiration...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Fiona, its wonderful to have a recycle depot as the people there strip the mattresses for recycling and so you can see all the spring patterns...hurrah for recycling and its many returns.Stapling sounds like fun...think you inspired me too...lol

cedar said...

sorry, I am really not anonymous, wrong key...

Helen said...

Hi cedar
I haven't been visiting the blogosphere much recently so it was lovely to visit your blog again and see how busy and creative you have been .I love your work -it is all fabulous I wish we not divided by the Pond or there was magic door so I could pop in and see you and vice versa!