Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Making new neural pathways and mittens too...

Oh fun fun fun...first taught myself to knit continental and then once I had accomplished that all of a sudden knitting stranded became interesting..so wanted inspired by the interweave knits mag for boot toppers, I proceeded to make those into cuffs with variations, and then wanted to do some real latvian scandinavian mittens, and voila found the pattern Bird in Hand, merely 5.95 on the next on www.kategilbert.com and before I knew there I was downloading and knitting the mittens...when I was stuck last night, never having done a braid before, along came ravelry site, and there was a kate gilbert group, so I posted my dilema and within moments a woman replied, clarifying the pattern for my novice self...and haven't look back, so there is the mitter so far, and the name of the pattern. I am doing it it two ply merino, that I had sprinkle dyed dark purples, and white, and learned how to carry the prominent yarn in the same hand at all times, which clarifies the pattern edges better, so that the yarn coming from underneath is always in my left hand...that would be the white yarn in this case...Then had to Ml left and Ml right which I went to www.knittinghelp.com and there was a live video. Make it so....love the internet, I am learning so much on this knitting path and its a new trick or two every day, not hard to do if you are a knitter with a small "k" to quote the Harlot...so I am truly making new neural pathways and have the mitts to show for it. I love this part of knitting.


These are the latest fingerless gloves found in the interweave gift mag . Made from merino sock yarn which I dyed with mushroom dyes (except for the blue) haven;t found a blue dye yet beside indigo, but I have heard there are some Hawk Wings, and other Polypores that will give me that color...I do love the tone of thedyes...
So back to the mitten, and oh, also learned the picot edge, that is folded traditionally and looks great..

1 comment:

Christine Thresh said...

Were you at the Symposium in Mendocino?
I just posted about it on my blog.