Wednesday, June 25, 2008

purple plus

Purples ruled the pots the last few days
I have been trying for good purple...what I read was to use cochineal and add some logwood grey, so this the end result...the silk, and silk boucle came out beautifully and the kid mohair was used as an exhaust bath...the exhaust was basically the cochineal and so the pinkish tones...the silks sucked up all the purple. I have spent the last few days labeling skeins and winding skeins, not a favourite of mine, but the markets start next week and I just received my fab labels from my graphic designer friend, and she did a great job.
I have divided them into "Hornby Dyed in the Wild" which are all the local plants I have gathered, mushroom, lichen, rhubarb, etc. and then others are labeled, "Dyes of the World" for the madder, cochineal, lac, fustic, osage, etc etc etc.....
I divided them into 50 gram skeins, with the help of my almost l6 year old pretend cool rasta grandson, and he did a great job winding and tying skeins...at 9 dollars an hour, it was worth it as my 61year old pretend cool grandmother's shoulder was pooched after so many skeins.
so now I have all the appropriate goodies, lets see if they sell this summer...I know I love them all and hope the feeling spreads, and I am loving natural dyeing again....oops lost my purple...
so back to labeling and sorting, and figuring what I want to do with the pounds and pounds of acid dyed roving I have and the skeins of wool, maybe have a sale table at the market for these items as I would like to clear the deck and only do the natural....so
any suggestions would be great, aside from giving it away of course, as I spent a fortune on it all...mostly bfl tops and silks....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and some of that too!!! Absolutely scrumpcious.
Frenchette.