Sunday, August 24, 2008

dyeing to dye

Here is the photo of the multi dyeing I did with cochineal, fustic with logwood, and logwood...sort of the color of springtime apple trees and I love it. Yet another batch I am reticent to part with...I must stop this and take them to market as they can't all be for me. The market has been bountiful and two more to go for the summer, but am selling really well and the natural dyes are a big hit with everyone...I put my acid dyes from last year all on sale for half price, and that has slowly been disappearing...it was just too much to label and sort, and I have basically decided to do the naturals only...of course, once said you can never be sure, but that is of my mind right now. With a few days of rain we went mushrooming today, but no luck. a little early perhaps, but I did hear some Prince and Chanterelles were spotted.
I have carrot tops on the boil, and wool and silk mordanting as I write so I am looking forward to trying a new green. I will post the results. I am boiling carrot tops, then will stain and put in a few skeins of silk/wool, then the last thirty minutes of dyeing add a quarter tsp. of iron, and see what results I can get... I loved the green from doing that with the fustic, so I will see what I can get with carrots. Don't really have much Queen Ann's Lace here so the carrot tops are the next best thing. The tansy is rampant here, and so is the weld in my garden so they will be next into the pot.
I put a stat counter on my site as I was feeling a little alone, and although most people don't actually leave a post, which I can totally understand, at least I feel that some are getting the pleasure from the site anyway. I like having the counter...56 in just four days...a bit mind blowing to say the least. I really should be selling wool on this site, but I just haven't gotten that together yet...perhaps in the fall and winter...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read every post but don't always comment i guess :)
Have you thought about putting your stuff for sale on ravelry? It's not too hard to get set up as a yarnie
rewselene

cedar said...

Laurie: good thought ..haven't tried it yet...will check it out

Helen said...

I loved the colour. I have never dyed with carrot tops but i sahllahve too as your yarn looks really lovely and soft greens seem popular at the momenttoo. I put a stats counter for the same reasons as you as you dont know how many people are popping . I have been astonised to be told that people have read every single blog but never left a message! So as stats counter can be reassuring. Also the one I use, which was easy peasy to put in, tells me where people are coming form and I have found good blogs-like yours that way too! :)

Helen said...

sorry about the typos in the last post !:( brain moving faster than fingers!

cedar said...

Thanks Helen: and yes, I love the stat counter...I too visit many sites without writing, but will write more now I think...have mordanted more fibre ready to multi dye again...so much fun. Ican totally relate to fingers being slower than mind...